13 March 2013

Book Review: Hidden (The Avena #1) by Marianne Curley

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)
Format: Paperback (arc)
Publishers: Bloomsbury Children
Published: 14th March 2013
Pages: 336
Genre: YA, Paranormal Romance
Main Characters: Ebony, Jordan
Date Read: 20th February - 24th February 2013
Rating Given:
 photo five.jpg
 

Blurb from Goodreads:


Ebony has always known that she is different. Her violet eyes mark her out, and her protective parents have kept her in a gorgeous valley, home-schooled, safe from everything—almost as if she’s being hidden. But she’s changing: glowing, getting more and more beautiful, and stronger than anyone knows. Ebony can’t stay hidden for ever, and when she meets complicated, intense Jordan, something explodes inside her—something that can be seen from the heavens; something that changes everything. Ebony is a stolen angel, concealed on Earth. Now the heavens have found her, they want her back.

Fans of Becca Fitzpatrick’s Hush, Hush Saga and L.A. Weatherly’s Angel series will adore Hidden. Full of irresistible romance and breath-taking suspense, this is a sensational start to a brilliant new series. Get ready to be swept away by this spellbinding story of eternal love.
 
When I was sent a email from the publishers over at Bloomsbury about this book I just knew this was going to be one of those books that I would love.

I love this cover as it is so eye catching. I also love that you know what your going to get from just looking at the cover. The use of colour within this cover has been used very well as it makes the title of the book stand out.

When I first started this book I actually wasn't too sure about it as for some reason I couldn't get into it but then all of a sudden I was so into the book I couldn't put it down. Even though the beginning wasn't all that I still couldn't put the rating down as the rest of the book was epic and I loved it so much I just had to give it 5/5. For most of the first half of this book there was hardly any paranormal activities going on and a lot of things that did happen could be explained as anything but paranormal. Angel's is one of my favourite mythical character and this was no different but I did like the different take on them. With the romance side there was a bit of a love triangle and usually I can pick a side but this time I couldn't throughout the book I was liking one of the guys then the other in the next chapter which hardly ever happens to me. The ending was left on a bit of a cliff hanger and it was one I just never saw coming.

Ebony's character I liked as she was sweet but also she wasn't a gullible person so it did take her awhile to believe anyone. Jordan I started off loving as he seemed like a nice guy with a bit of edge but there was times when I didn't like him and I'm not sure I am going to like him in the next book. I loved that we got to read from both Ebony and Jordan's point of view as I felt it gave a better understanding to both characters. There was also another character called Nathaneal who I didn't actually like to start with but by the end I loved him and I do wish we could have read from his point of view too.

Overall I loved this book even if I couldn't get into it at start. I would say to anyone reading or planning on reading this book to stick with it as you won't be disappointed.